Friday, July 24, 2009

The Dream

I have always wanted a soup kitchen. Why? I don't really know the answer to that. I could use the old cliche "I want to help people" but that is not the only reason. It is really hard to put into words. I have a heart for those less fortunate. God teaches us to take care of others and love them like He loves us. Proverbs 22: 2 says, "Rich and poor have this in common: The Lord is the maker of them all." (NIV)
I remember the first time I told my husband about my dream. We were riding down the road and I said,"I would love to have a soup kitchen one day." I have to admit that he was surprised by that. Probably because I have never really been a "people" person (even though I am a social worker...I know go figure!!) We have talked about what we would do, what we would serve, how we would decorate, etc.
I told my preacher about a year and a half ago about my passion. I even told him that if I couldn't find a building, I was just going to have to pass out hot dogs from the back of my Tahoe in the neighborhoods around town!! We discussed different scenarios we could do but none of them really caught my attention or ever came to fruition. People at church would talk about the local soup kitchen feeding over 250 meals a day and the need for more help. I would always say,"If someone would give me a building, I could take care of that!!" I have always felt in my heart I would be able to have a soup kichen one day but it just seemed like a dream. There is no way my husband and I could afford to build, buy, or rent a building so I would literally have to have one given to me.....

2 comments:

  1. I posted a link to your blog on my blog. I cant wait for others to hear about your dream. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a wonderful thing and,knowing you,I'm sure it will be done well.I'm here if you need any help at all.

    ReplyDelete


About Me

I am very blessed to be the wife of a wonderful, Godly man and the mom of a beautiful, fiesty, intelligent, little girl. In the last two years, God has really worked in my life and this blog is a way I hope to give Him praise and honor for the blessings I have received.